Top Ten Books for Supernatural Creatures 101


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the ladies of The Broke and the Bookish.
HELLOOO my first meme post! I am extremely excited to share this post because the idea of using dictionary definitions for the creatures, which you'll notice I wrote by myself. Honestly so proud of this. Took me forever though. With the typing and graphics... whew! If you're a blogger, how long do blog posts usually take you to finish?

This week's theme is: Top Ten Books That Would Be On Your Syllabus If You Taught X 101. I decided to go a bit easy and chose Supernatural Creatures.
Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
Fairy- (n.) a magical human-like creature with wings and has an annoying tendency to mess with human affairs. All I know is this is THE fairy book to read. It’s a nose-in-the-pages kinda book so reserve time because you won’t want to talk to anyone until you finish. Also the cover is super pretty and can we just take a moment to appreciate it?

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Vampire- (n.) a blood sucking dead person with beautifully chiseled abs that sparkle in the sun. Yes, I’m sorry I had to add Twilight because let’s be honest, what’s the first thing you think of when you hear vampires. Now I can’t remember what team I was obsessed with in middle school (that’s a lie, Team Jacob all the way) but I can remember how fascinating the side worlds Stephenie Meyer created was. I probably spent more time researching the werewolves and the Volturi than focusing on Edward and Bella. But as eye roll worthy as they are, I have to admit their love story is a good one.

Angelfall by Susan Ee
Angel- (n.) a celestial being with feathered wings who eventually got sick of humans and reigned terror. A book I’ve been afraid to start because of all the hype. Also, I know it’s going to be a dark read. I heard it’s known to stomp on your heart a few times (but what else is new am I right).

Moonlight by Rachel Hawthorne
Werewolf- (n.) a human who shape shift into a wolf either exclusively on full moons or at will. I don’t remember much about this series but I KNOW I was super obsessed with it. It’s extremely cheesy I know that and very predictable. Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but it was SO fun to read for me. One of those look-across-the-room-and-our-eye-contact-results-in-sparks-and-wow-did-we-just-imprint stories but with a twist. Very cliche and guess what. I’M ALL FOR IT.

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
Ghost- (n.) the spirit of a dead person that haunts an area (usually where they died or WAS MURDERED) with unfinished business. My big sister read this book and was IN LOVE. Which is saying something because she is a picky reader. I have yet to read.
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Witch/Wizard- (n.) a person who practices sorcery possibly for a duel to the death.  I love love love this cover. I searched all over Powell’s and Target to get this fancy cover (there's multiple versions). It’s beautiful. I admit I’m afraid to start reading this book because I’m already so in love with it from the cover (does this count as being vain?) and I’ve heard mixed reviews. From just the summary I am already excited for the magical world of The Night Circus.

The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson
Aliens- (n.) creature from outer space. Whatever the heck this guy is, I want in on it. Daniel is an alien... I think. He’s something. He can create things with his mind out of thin air. He usually likes to create his parents or his best friends so that he isn’t lonely, which breaks my heart. Daniel is in possession of The List, the names of the top most dangerous aliens in the universe. Out to find the one who murdered his family, he also takes the time to take out others to keep the universe safer. A one man Men in Black kinda deal. This is a light fun read, not for those who are looking for a deep story.

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
INTRODUCING BADASS VAMPIRES. I know it’s cheating having another vampire book but these vampires are different! There are three different types of vampires here: Moroi (vampires with powers), Dhampir (Half vampire+half human=awesome guardians), and Strigoi (traditional immortal vampires who are evil). The result of all these vampires in one book? Epic.

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor
Demon- (n.) an “extremely evil” fiend who in this case accidentally falls in love with an angel. Yes, it is as tragic as it seems and more heart-aching than you think. Did I mention this demon is an artistic, spunky gal with blue hair? One of the most beautifully written books I’ve ever read.

Firelight by Sophie Jordan
Dragon- (n.) Scales, claws, fire breathing creatures who like to steal princesses away from their castles… Or if you’re Jacinda you’re the only draki who can breathe fire. Because of her rare trait, Jacinda escapes from her Pride and tries to live in the mortal world. Of course the universe can’t go easy on her and she runs into a hunter named Will, a dragon hunter who saves her life. Did I mention the bad boy draki Cassian who is waiting for her back at the Pride to marry him and have his special draki babies too? A very easy to read book and pure fantasy.

That is all! Sorry for the long post, I got really excited. What are some supernatural creatures that I missed and a book to pair with it?

No comments