Book Review: Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Published: June 5th, 2012 by Crown
Source: Library
Format: eBook
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Summary
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

Review
Lately, I’ve been using an online library app. While reading Gone Girl, I couldn’t help but wish that I had the actual book in my hands because it’s one of those books you want to drop and scream “WHAT?” at every five pages. This book is the definition of plot twist. Every new chapter manipulated me only to have me turn the page and laugh at me when I believed its lie. I so wanted the satisfaction of throwing this book from how much it played me.

If I could only use one word to describe this book, it would be shady. Everyone is soo shady. You can trust no one in this book, not even the narrator! I’ve never read a book with an untrustworthy narrator before, but let me tell you it is tons of fun. The author utilized pathos beautifully, and toyed with my emotions so much to fool me. I could never tell where this book was going and couldn’t predict anything. The book is split into three sections. The introduction into each new section also delivered a punch into the readers face, because a new section meant a new game change.

The book switches between two narratives: Amy and Nick. Nick is accused of murdering Amy, his wife. I was very interested in Nick’s POV because his story was all over the place. The entire time you sit there thinking, either Nick sucks at being innocent or he sucks at pretending to be innocent because Nick is SHADY. For no literal reason sometimes. Nick’s POV kept me on edge as I questioned his innocence and his story.

Now Amy. Wow. Let me just say. I have never been more scared of a person before. Amy is a master at manipulation. The finesse and intelligence behind all of her actions left me in fear at the idea of a person like Amy could exist. I had to take a ten minute cool down with cat pictures to be able to go to sleep after this book. Amy and Nick together is just disruptive. They fell in love with who they each made each other. Together, they became “perfect” and could pretend to be someone else other than their true ugly selves. Together they became Fun Nick and Cool Amy. And then everything went downhill.

This book is a work of art. If you would like to read a book that makes you question everything and maybe make your neck hairs rise, this is your book.

No comments