Book Review: These Broken Stars

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Published: December 10th 2013 by Disney Hyperion
Source: Library
Format: eBook
Rating: 4 out of 5

Summary:
Luxury spaceliner Icarus suddenly plummets from hyperspace into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive -- alone. Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a cynical war hero. Both journey across the eerie deserted terrain for help. Everything changes when they uncover the truth.



Review:
I. Love. This. Book. I was in awe after I finished reading it. This is such a mind blowing book and it is so beautiful. I don’t even know how to review this book appropriately because anything I say won’t do this book justice. It’s THAT good.

These Broken Stars is a sci-fi novel. Which I don’t read often. I admit what drew me in was the cover. It’s so pretty and I’m a sucker for anything with the galaxy and stars on it. And to keep this theme going, Kaufman and Spooner constantly made references to stars in their writing and IT WAS SO BEAUTIFUL. The writing is one of my favorite parts of the book, I had so many saved.  The last paragraph of the book took my breath away.

The book starts off in space (how cool is that??) aboard a big ship called Icarus, holding thousands of people. Unfortunately, Icarus gets a malfunction and crashes on an unknown planet. Living up to it's name I guess. It leaves only two survivors, Tarver and Lilac, who narrowly escaped death on an escape pod.  Tarver is an 18 year old war hero who has extensive survival training from being on duty. He is sarcastic, controlled, and SO genuine. I instantly fell in love with Tarver’s soldier charm. Now Lilac, I didn’t like at first. She’s the spoiled daughter of the richest guy in the universe. Used to the high class life she struggled to keep up with Tarver’s efforts to keep them alive and often threw fits in her head. But she’s strong and stubborn and refused to allow Tarver to see her weakness. As annoyed with her as I was, I wanted to give her a round of applause for trekking through the forest in heels for days. It took her a while, but her character development was pretty awesome as she accepted her situation and Tarver’s help. Watching her change wasn’t sudden. It was so gradual that I didn’t notice it until towards the end of the book.

THE ROMANCE. To me the love that grew between them was very gentle. One that none of them wanted to admit at first because of personal reasons... plus there was the part where they wanted to punch each other in the face for a good 90% of the time they were together in the beginning. The gradual way they fell in love was so simple it was wonderful.

The book switches between two perspectives. In between the actual story there was also snippets of an interrogation that confused me greatly in the beginning because I had no idea what was going on. I started to look forward to those snippets though because it was filled with sass from Tarver.

The plot is a bit slow in the beginning. Because Tarver and Lilac are the only survivors for 80% of the book, they are the only characters. There’s a lot of them walking around trying to survive before the problem actually arises. I don’t want to spoil what the problem is but DAAAAANG. IT WAS SO TRIPPY. There was this one part where basically “ish hit the fan” and it left me speechless. I dropped my phone and freaked out in my room. I didn’t know what to do with what just happened. I just sat on my bed and panicked. This book is CRAZY and SO unique. I guarantee that you won’t find a book like this one.

PLEASE READ THIS BOOK… if you haven’t already. Goodreads says I’m a little late to the club but oh well. What are some other YA sci-fi books you recommend?


No comments